My friend and I tested over 10 different SBC heads for 500 HP engines. The results were so good that I decided to share the top 5 with you guys.
This article lists the 5 Best SBC Heads for 500 HP that are specifically designed for the 500hp or higher engine size.
They are built for high RPM, power density, long life, and high quality.
Top 5 Best SBC Heads for 500 HP
These are the best Best SBC Heads for 500 HP:
You may also like this article on the Best Street Cam for Small Block Chevy.
Best SBC Heads for 500 HP Reviews
These are the individual reviews of the best SBC heads for 500 hp engine:
1. DNA Motoring CYLH-SBC-350 Aluminum Bare Cylinder Head
- Reasonably designed to provide greater airflow and fuel deployment control.
- With an intake runner and combustion chamber of 200cc and 68cc respectively, it greatly improves the overall performance and total output of the engine.
- It is made of premium aluminum material.
- Dissipates heat with speed and cannot be cracked or deformed easily.
- Can be installed directly and replaced without modification.
- Perfectly compatible with 302, 327, 350, 383 SBC engines and 400 SBC engines up to 1986.
This 500 HP SBC head from the DNA Motoring brand is designed to provide greater airflow with its high-grade aluminum material, bronze valve guides, hardened seats, and advanced port design.
Being a “lighter than iron” head, it provides better control over the deployment of fuel. It has a 200cc intake runner with a 68cc combustion chamber which improves the engine’s overall output.
Its premium aluminum material can withstand high temperature and pressure conditions without displaying any crack or deformity.
This makes it as one of the best SBC head for 500 HP engines.
This aluminum bare cylinder head is compatible with 302, 327, 350, 383 SBC engines, and 400 SBC engines up to 1986.
2. Flo-Tek 1200-HRAC-505A Performance Cylinder Heads For SBC
- Has a versatile intake port of 200cc.
- Its combustion chamber measures 64cc in volume.
- Made of high-quality aluminum material.
- Designed with state-of-the-art casting.
- Delivers an impressive horsepower boost to 500HP SBC engines.
- Equipped with phosphorus bronze valve guides and high nickel valve seats.
- Its ends are milled and drilled for accessories.
- Available for 305,307,327,350 SBC engines and also compatible with 383,350 and 400 strokers.
Flotek’s 1200-HRAC-505A SBC head is compatible with SBC 305, 307, 327, and 350 engines.
This SBC head is made of high-quality aluminum material. It is also durable and very affordable. Thereby making it the best SBC head for 500 HP.
With its 200cc versatile intake ports and 64cc combustion chamber, an impressive boost in the horsepower production and overall output of your 500 HP SBC engine is guaranteed.
Thereby making it the best SBC head for 500 HP engines.
Its state-of-the-art design features phosphorus bronze valve guides and high nickel valve seats. It is also drilled for accessories as well.
3. Auto Dynasty Straight Aluminum Bare Cylinder Head
- Absence of SBC 400 stem holes.
- No valves, springs, retainers, or hardware included.
- Has an intake port of 200cc volume.
- Its 68cc combustion chamber improves the engine’s performance and also retains stock compression on SBC engines from 1970 and earlier.
- Made of high-grade aluminum.
- Specially equipped with a 3-angle valve seat, 23-degree intake and exhaust valve angles, and pre-drilled accessory bolt holes.
- An advanced port design that ensures greater airflow in and out of the cylinder.
- Designed to improve the SBC engine’s output by enhancing airflow and combustion efficiency.
- Compatible with 302,327,350,383 and 400 small block Chevy engines.
Auto Dynasty’s straight aluminum bare SBC head is made of high-grade aluminum.
Thinking about what makes this the best SBC head for 500 HP engines?
It has an impressive design that features the center and perimeter bolt mounts, bronze valve guide tips, a thick deck, a straight plug, accessory bolt holes, and its natural aluminum finish.
This cylinder head is equipped with features that make it the best SBC head for your 500 HP engine. It has hardened seats and an advanced port design for greater airflow.
Auto Dynasty’s SBC cylinder head has an intake runner of 200cc with a 68cc combustion chamber which improves the performance of the engine and also retains stock compression from 1970 and earlier.
These special features qualify it among the best SBC heads for 500 HP engines.
It fits perfectly for 302,327,350,383 and 400 SBC engines up to 1980 and is compatible with Vortec style intake manifolds.
4. Speedmaster PCE281.2010 Chevy SBC 350 (205cc, 64cc) Straight Hydr-FT Complete Aluminum
- No drilled stem holes.
- Not machined for O-Ring.
- No guide plates.
- Absence of rocker arm studs, rocker arms, and rocker arm nuts.
- Lifters and camshaft are not included.
- CNC-Machined combustion chamber, CNC-Machined intake runner, and CNC-Machined exhaust runner are not included.
- No heat crossover.
- Manufactured with high-quality aluminum.
- Intake runner of 205cc volume.
- Combustion chamber of 64cc volume.
- Natural head finish.
- Includes a 3-angle ductile iron valve seat machine, valves and springs (set of 2), valve stem seals, and bronze valve guides.
- Drilled accessory bolt holes.
- Compatible with SBC 350 engine.
The Speedmaster PCE281.2010 small block chevy head for SBC 350 is the ideal SBC head for 500 HP. It is forged from high-quality aluminum.
With an intake runner and combustion chamber of 205cc and 64cc volumes respectively, this SBC head enhances the overall performance of the SBC 350 engine.
Its intricate design with a natural finish features bronze valve guides, a 3-angle ductile iron valve seat machine, and 23-degree intake and exhaust valve angles.
Counter and perimeter bolt mounts, valve stem seals, Chromoly steel retainers, valve springs, and its spark plug are added features that make it inclusive among the best SBC heads for 500 HP engines.
5. Speedway Chevy SBC Assembled Aluminum Camel Double Hump 461 Cylinder Head
- Manufactured from premium quality aluminum.
- Has a 180cc intake runner/port.
- Fast-burning combustion chambers.
- 62cc exhaust runner/port.
- 2.02″ intake valves and 1.60″ exhaust valves included.
- A 3-angle machined valve that promotes better flow.
- Completely assembled without accessory bolt holes.
- Compatible with 1962-86 302,327 and 350 SBC engines.
This SBC head from Speedway Motors is forged from premium quality aluminum. It has an intake port, 180cc in volume, and a 62cc exhaust port.
Its 64cc combustion chambers have a fast-burning property and can produce a large amount of power.
With the aid of its 3-angle valve feature, this small block chevy head enhances better flow mostly at low-to-mid lifts. This makes it best for 500HP SBC engines.
It is equipped with 7-degree lightweight Chromoly containers and hardened street spring cups for durability. The high nickel valve seats of this SBC cylinder head provide optimum heat transfer in the engine.
Friction reduction is also achieved as a result of its manganese bronze valve guides. Thereby making it one of the best SBC heads for 500 HP engines.
Speedway’s Chevy SBC aluminum cylinder head is designed for compatibility with 392,327 and 350 small block engines from 1962-1986.
While making changes to your SBC 350 engine, a 350 Chevy Engine Diagram always comes in handy.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best SBC Heads for 500 HP
Check these things before choosing the Best SBC Heads for 500 HP:
1. Intake Ports:
The “bigger is not always better” ideology perfectly defines the intake ports of SBC cylinder heads.
Larger ports give greater flow at higher RPMs and would probably cause the torque numbers to fall off.
On the other hand, smaller intake port volumes deliver a crisper throttle response with low-end torque and usually produce satisfactory results for street performance and part-time race vehicles.
While larger intake volumes can be beneficial to larger displacement engines, intake parts with the smallest volume and highest efficiency are preferable.
2. The Exhaust
Good flowing exhausts enable your 500 HP engines to receive good power.
In this case, a cylinder head with slightly lower-flowing intake ports and high-flowing exhaust parts with a small cross-sectional area is recommended for your SBC 500 HP engines.
3. The Combustion Chamber
The shape, size, and design of the combustion chamber is a crucial factor affecting the engine’s performance.
Before purchasing an SBC head for your 500HP engine, ensure that you determine the best combustion chamber for the engine based on its specifications.
4. The Valves
Just like in the case of the intake ports, bigger caves are not always the best choice for some engines.
Determining the right valve for your 500 HP SBC engine is a worthy factor to consider because it affects the overall output of the engine.
5. Compatibility of The Engine Head
The result of using an incompatible cylinder head for your SBC engine is pretty obvious. It won’t fit! It won’t work!
That’s why you need to check the specifications of your SBC engine and the engine head you are about to purchase to ensure that they are compatible with each other.
FAQs on Best SBC Heads for 500 HP
These are the most frequently asked questions on Best SBC Heads for 500 HP:
Can I get 500HP out of a 350?
Achieving 500HP from a 350 small block Chevy requires substantial modifications like high-flow heads, aggressive camshaft, optimized intake and exhaust, and precise tuning.
The above are my top picks for the best SBC heads for HP. I hope the key factors listed in the article will help you in purchasing the perfect one for you.